Wednesday 20 May 2009

First design..










When purchasing the Weardowney knit couture book , I fell in love with this cardigan.




Actually I was drooling over it. Last October when visiting the knitting and stitching show in Alexandra Palace, London , I went purposely to the Weardowney stall, and started chatting to the heavily pregnant Gail Downey. I made strong hints towards getting the pattern for this cardi but was told that it was part of their line and now discontinued. This was when I made my mind to try and create something beautiful similar to this. I purchased from Gail the original lurex yarn, about £8 per 100g ball. Its looks very similar to the now discontinued rowan lurex. The color is very vintage pink bronze.





So after a lot of experimenting I came out with this. The color is the same as in the book but looks here pink purple. The challenge in this piece was the shaping in the chevron pattern. I had to find a way to increase without being to noticeable. I placed my increases next to the natural ridges occurring in this pattern and I'm quite pleased with the results.




I think the best way to wear it is actually to twin it with your basic jeans otherwise it is too sparkley. Also I got a tip from Gail Downey, the lurex if washed with a fabric conditioner becomes much more 'silky'. I'm very fond of those bronse buttons which were purchased in Paris. The right buttons do beautify a garmen and I always ponder much about which buttons to saw in.

2 comments:

  1. The cardigan looks great but also looks very good on you, you should have a picture of you wearing it as it fits really well particularly as it is the first garment you have tried to design yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would very much like to buy a copy of the pattern for this lovely cardigan. Is this possible? I have a PayPal account. This is an exquisite sweater.
    Thank you, Barb Jensen

    ReplyDelete